Re: Root device doesn't exist

On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 10:57:52PM +0200, Dimitry Andric wrote:
> Partition check (DOS partitions):
>  sd0: sd0s1
>  sd1: sd1s1 sd1s2 sd1s3 sd1s4
>  sd2: sd2s1 sd2s2
>  sd3: sd3s4
> com0: at atbus0, port = 3f8, spl = 6, pic = 4. (DOS COM 1)
> com1: at atbus1, port = 2f8, spl = 6, pic = 3. (DOS COM 2)
> Root device `sd2s2' does not exist!
> Root device name? [sd2s2]
>
> Note how the partition check works OK. Is the "Root device name?"
> question handled by gnumach or by serverboot?

It is handled by serverboot, but this error message means that GNU Mach
didn't recognize sd2s2.

Looking at the type of changes that were made, I would suggest that this
problem is caused by Okujis change:

2000-08-17  OKUJI Yoshinori  <okuji@gnu.org>

        * linux/dev/glue/block.c (rdwr_partial): Mask the minor device
        number with MINOR_SHIFT bits, when indexing the array of
        partitions. Reported by Marius Vollmer <mvo@zagadka.ping.de>.
        (init_partition): Likewise.
        (check_limit): Likewise.
        (device_get_status): Likewise.

Rather than by replacing the asm constructs with C code for gcc
compatibility.

Can you try to check out a CVS version from 2000-07-28 and compile gnumach?
Then boot it? If not, let me know and I will compile a test kernel for you.

> For the time being, I'll just keep using a copy of gnumach_1.2-2,
> since all my hardware works properly with it. I can upgrade other
> components using dselect without much problems.

It would be great if you could help to fix the problem, now that you have
identified the location.