Re: IPv6?

From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
Subject: Re: IPv6?
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2000 23:54:28 +0200

> Of course, for a user space driver, this is more difficult. You could have
> an entropy device in gnumach, which provides raw entropy to the user space
> driver.

  I agree. If you want to have a good random source, then you need to
add some hooks into the kernel, anyhow. In gnumach, it is better to
use a kernel-level random device, since it already exists. It is true
that you could strip the entropy computation routine from the random
device driver, but there is no good reason for that. In oskit-mach, it
may be worth implementing a pure random device driver, but it wouldn't
be very easy, as the console driver doesn't have any point to insert a
hook yet, because the driver is derived from FreeBSD, so it has no
function to add randomness like add_*_randomness in Linux. I don't
know how to do such a modification on OSKit appropriately, since the
strategy seems not to modify the original code at all, unlike the
Linux glue code in gnumach.

Okuji