Re: Problems installing hurd on i386

Marcus,
	I was doing all my work in the Debian installation shell and I
found that the tarball was mounted on /gnu/ not / so I modified it.  The
modified tarball behaves in the same way as base2_2.gz so the modified
tarball now replaces base2_2 and is installed very nicely on / with the
"Install the Base System" option in the installation menu.

On Tue, 14 Mar 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> This is one of the things I wanted to discuss with you, and myu main cncern
> with the CD's. This is how it is supposed to work:
>
> mkdir /gnu
> mount ... /gnu
> cd /
> tar --same-owner -xzpf ...
>
> So, the tar file is extracted in the top level dir.
>
> kernel = /gnu/boot etc is certainly very very wrong.

That is exactly what I thought when it happened, hence the modification.

> The next tar file will probably extract in . rather than gnu.

Good.

> Oh, and the other thing is that I wanted to prepare a new and up to date tar
> file for the CD. Maybe for the next revision.

Two things I noticed.

1.  "mount" in the tarball does not seem to like iso9660 file systems and
so the CD-ROM cannot be read.

2.  "dselect" is the old slink version and has problems with the potato
non-US file layout.

The work-around for the iso9660 problem was to copy the packages onto the
HURD partition while in the installation shell.  The problem here was
that cp in the shell copied what the symlinks points to ....  and there
is a circular symlink .....

When I used dselect (without non-US) it did some work then fell over
because of unmet dependencies.  However "joe" (my favorite editor)
installed nicely with dpkg.

I did all this on a machine with only one partition, HURD (didn't bother
with swap even) and no network connection.

What I would like to do in a week or two's time is to start to butcher
boot-floppies.  There is a very useful development path here

1. The HURD partition could be formatted with a menu item (no more
typos!!)
2.  Redundant menu items could be removed.
3.  Put a more useful version of cp in the ram-disk.
4.  Modify documentation.
5.  A series of base floppies could be generated so that HURD could be
installed by floppies only (does anyone do this any more?).
n.  Replace the Linux ram-disk with HURD and with HURD utilities (dream
on).

The beauty of the Debian packaging and installation systems is that they
are quite generic, even M$ could use them.  I see my role as adapting the
installation system to install HURD rather than hacking HURD itself.

Phil.

-
Philip Charles; 39a Paterson St., Abbotsford, New Zealand; +64 3 4882818