Re: Now, /etc/motd

On Fri, Aug 11, 2000 at 02:51:40PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Why does the HURD print motd before you log in ? Linux prints it after
> it, and I think that's the proper way, because it can contain system
> information, useless if you are not logged.

Does this happen with the login prompt, too, or only with the login shell?
(Now you are going to ask me how to change to a login prompt except a shell,
and you would have to take a look at "/bin/loginpr" vs "/bin/login". Maybe
move login out of the way and cp login loginpr)

With the login shell, on most systems you can just do "cat /etc/motd" before
logging in (except if the sysadmin mangled the permission flags on the
file). So not printing it is not useful.

And what do you mean with "system information"? I smell a security related
thread again, where I'll burn my nose in an obscurty vs security discussion :)