Re: _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64 not supported (was: Re: WARNING fileutils 4.0x-1 severly broken

   Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 00:27:09 +0200
   From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>

   The culprit is that fileutils now defines _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64 on the Hurd,
   which sucks in functions like readdir64, lseek64 etc

   Can we easily implement those?

Not really.

   I have to use --disable-largefile on the Hurd, it seems.

That would do the trick for now.

   Funnily, the autoconf check doesn't bother to check if largefiles
   are really supported.

That's broken I think.

   checking for special C compiler options needed for large files... no
   checking for _FILE_OFFSET_BITS value needed for large files... 64
   checking for _LARGEFILE_SOURCE value needed for large files... no
   checking for _LARGE_FILES value needed for large files... no
   checking for _XOPEN_SOURCE value needed for large files... no

   Is this a bug in fileutils?

No, it's a bug in autoconf.  We don't advertise that we support large
files on the Hurd.  If we did, we would set one of more of the
following macros to 1 in <unistd.h>:

_LFS_LARGEFILE
_LFS64_LARGEFILE
_LFS64_ASYNCHRONOUS_IO
_LFS64_STDIO

I think autoconf should at least check for _LFS_LARGEFILE.

Mark