Re: Mailing List traffic and membership

On Sun, Jul 16, 2000 at 03:07:17PM +0900, OKUJI Yoshinori wrote:
> From: Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
> Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2000 13:24:37 +0200
>
> > You will be welcome of course :), though I never considered you
> > away from Hurd development really. Grub is a part of the Hurd system
> > (isn't it the only bootloader that supports the multiboot standard?)
>
>   Thanks for your warm message. :-)
>
>   However, I'd like to point out that GRUB is NOT part of Hurd.

I understand that, and this is the reason why I said "part of the Hurd
_system_". In other words, the grub is an important component for us.
I did not want to say that the Hurd is important for Grubs future or
development.

> Even
> if GRUB plays an important role with Hurd, GRUB is an independent
> project. In fact, there are several other projects that more or less
> depend on GRUB, such as Fiasco and Linux-Mandrake.

And I hope more will follow, as Grub is such a fantastic boot loader (even
more so after you put your hands on it!). I am quite sure that Debian will
use Grub in the next release (grub was not ready for potato, mostly because
there was no automatc way to install it. Now, with the grub shell this is
solved.)

> In addition,
> Etherboot and OSKit's netboot kernel also support the Multiboot
> Specification (they are not fully compliant, though).

Thanks for the information,