GRUB 0.5.95 is released

[Please send followups and bug reports bugs to bug-grub@gnu.org, not
to the other lists.]

I'm happy to announce the latest test release of GNU GRUB.  You can
get it from:

ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub/

Debian i386 and source packages have also been uploaded to
ftp-master.debian.org, and should be available shortly from your
nearest Debian mirror.

OKUJI Yoshinori has been the primary developer of this release, with
several other contributors, I just put together the final release
details.

Here is the relevant NEWS:

New in 0.5.95 - 2000-06-27:
* NetBSD ELF kernel support is added. You have to specify the new option
  to the command "kernel". See below.
* Added a new option `--type=TYPE' into the command "kernel". This
  option suggests what type of kernel you want to load. TYPE must be
  either of "netbsd", "freebsd", "openbsd", "linux", "biglinux" and
  "multiboot". Actually, this option will be necessary only if you want
  to load a NetBSD ELF kernel, because GRUB can automatically determine
  a kernel type in the other cases.
* ReiserFS support is added.
* Added a new option `--force-lba' into the command "install". This
  option disables some sanity checks for LBA mode (but not all). If you
  are sure that your machine supports LBA mode but GRUB doesn't work in
  LBA mode, you should specify it. It is necessary if your BIOS is too
  buggy. In the previous version, it was a compile-time option, but you
  don't have to recompile GRUB any longer.
* Likewise, now the command "setup" and the script "grub-install" also
  accept `--force-lba' option. Specifying this option to "setup" or
  "grub-install" has the same effect as to the command "install".
* The configure script doesn't accept the option
  `--disable-lba-support-bitmap-check' any longer. Use the option above.
* The network support is updated to Etherboot-4.6.1. So now we have
  3Com59x and DEPCA drivers.
* Now you can omit the configuration file argument to the command
  "password". If you omit it, then GRUB will just unlock privileged
  instructions (such as `c') when you enter a correct password.
* The new command "lock" can be used to prevent end-users from executing
  arbitrary menu entries. This command will emit an error until the user
  enters a correct password.
* Recognize the Linux extended partition type.
* Pass a correct memory size to Linux and *BSD.
* Diskless support is added. Now configure accepts --enable-diskless,
  and "make" will produce two additional images, ``nbgrub'' for Net Boot
  Image Proposal and ``pxegrub'' for Preboot Execution Environment. See
  the documentation, for more details.
* The command "tftpserver" overrides a TFTP server address returned by a
  BOOTP server, a DHCP server or a RARP server.
* Fix a serious bug about LBA support. It is possible that you don't
  disable the LBA support bitmap check any longer. Please send a report,
  if you must still disable it. We need to know if we should get rid of
  the option.

Have fun,

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org>  //\ I'm a FIG (http://fig.org/)