Re: Some Hurd and Mach programming questions

From: Roland McGrath <roland@frob.com>
Subject: Re: Some Hurd and Mach programming questions
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 04:09:41 -0400 (EDT)

> time.  My original notion when we were hashing out multiboot was that GRUB
> would read a script like /boot/servers.boot and load all the files into
> memory, using the full lines with the $ magic as the "boot module string"
> instead of just the file name.

  Well, do you think it would be useful to add a command like
"bootscript" into GRUB? This is a virtual example on how to use the
command:

grub> cat /boot/hurd.boot
# Load the kernel first.
/boot/kernel.gz
# Load the foo server.
/hurd/foo --arg-foo=${arg-foo}
# And load the bar server.
/hurd/bar --arg-bar=${arg-bar}

grub> bootscript /boot/hurd.boot root=hd0s1
  Running "kernel /boot/kernel.gz root=hd0s1"
  Running "module /hurd/foo --arg-foo=${arg-foo} root=hd0s1"
  Running "module /hurd/bar --arg-bar=${arg-bar} root=hd0s1"
  Done.

grub> boot

  GRUB can already pass an arbitrary string to any module, so this
kind of command would be just a convenient way for the user to load
several images, though.

Okuji