Re: Major GNU/Hurd using report

On Fri, 05 May 2000 02:45:50 Colin Watson wrote:
> Kalle Olavi Niemitalo <tosi@stekt.oulu.fi> wrote:
> >Tomasz Wegrzanowski <maniek@beer.com> writes:
> >> 5)
> >> `which' and `type' don't work correctly
> >> They shows all commands to be /usr/bin/*,
> >> what is wrong, althru will work.
> >
> >Take /usr/bin off your $PATH then.
>
> And, as a side note, I understand that the reason this is there by
> default is that the hurd-i386 architecture is using the same source for
> the base-files packages as other architectures,

but it is architecture: any, so we can get special hurd changes in.

We have two possible sceanrios: Support /usr being a real directory by
default,
or doing it not.

Scenario: Support for a real /usr:
PATH=/usr/bin:/bin: (etc etc)
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/X11R6/lib

Scenario: No support for a real /usr:
PATH=/bin: (etc etc)
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/X11R6/lib

Note that currently we don't set LD_LIBRARY_PATH at all, but we should.
This
is something we need to change anyway, so I will file a bug report. But
which
of the two scenarios do we want?

(BTW, it would be a nice idea to try to get X into / instead /X11R6.
Then we could
have:

PATH=/bin:/local/bin

(and no LD_LIBRARY_PATH)).