RE: mmap ?

> The problem is apt. The apt source package 0.3.10 compiles
> pretty cleanly expcept for one thing. In the file
> apt-pkg/contrib/mmap.cc there is a reference to MS_SYNC.
> It's a fconstant flag to msync, specifying that the call
> should be synchronous.

I have spent a little bit of time myself playing with this.  The
problems run a bit deeper than you can see at first.  While the
MS_SYNCH issue is annoying, it is not critical.  Just comment
those lines out.

The problem occurs later in the program, when it tries to establish
a socket connection to the server with the APT data.  For some
reason, I have not been able to get it to successfully
negotiate this transaction.

The newer HURD may have better support for the SOCKOPT features
than I had when I last played with it.

Good luck,

-Brent