Re: Installing Debian/Hurd

>> From: Ali Hamisheh-Bahar <Ali_Hamisheh-Bahar@mw.3com.com>
>>
>> Sounds like this is a great opportunity for you to dig into the scsi
>> driver code! ;-)

 It's creeping up my list ;-)
 I'm off for a two week stint out of state today, but that doesn't mean I
 can't look at it on the road, just can't test anything.

>> But, you'd said that you're using 5 disks; have you tried the scsi
>> disk with <5 disks total? That is, have you checked to ensure that the
>> scsi problem is not related to the fact that you're using 5 disks? (I
>> do know you had no problems with 5 IDE disks.)

 Yup.
 Stripped the machine down to the scsi and floppy only.

>> curt@gwis.com <curt@gwis.com>  wrote --

>> > straight

>> >  Well, in that case, I expect I need a source package so I can do some
>> >  playing around meself !

 So...
 Here's a stupid question.
 Where, or which, collection of source do I need, where do I get it ?

 Are we talking about simply re-compiling a kernel ?
 My understanding was ( perhaps in error ) that as a micro-kernel, these
 things are external processes ?

 Next, this same box works and has worked under linux kernels starting
 with a buzz release and 2.0.6 kernel to the current debian 2.1 and a
 2.2.11 kernel using autoload modules for the scsi.

>> From: Neal H Walfield <neal@walfield.org>
>>
>> HI All,
>>
>> >From what I understand (correct me if I am wrong), GNUMach has support
>> for the 2.0.x drivers while OSKit supports the 2.2.x seriers.  You may
>> want to try that out (It is available as a branch in CVS GNUMach).
>>
>> -Neal

 I'll look.

>> > The first thing to do would be to update the scsi driver code of your
>> > controller with the latest linux version (I am not sure if 2.2.x will work,
>> > maybe try with 2.0.x first).
>> >
>> > Marcus

 The "controller" ??

 I'll admit to being very new and inexperienced in dealing with the hurd,
 and not so familiar with linux deep internals, but I'm afraid "controller"
 to me means the scsi BIOS on the card. Do I mis-understand ?

 I do have the advantage of enough redundancy to be able to try about
 anything, no matter how disasterous ( including destroy a monitor or video
 card, but not to the point of smoking a motherboard ) and am willing to do
 so ( whence I get back home ) if it'll help.

 Meantime, I'll need something to study on those lonely nights stuck in
 a cheap hotel room with bad TV anyway ....

--
Cowboy

America, how can I write a holy litany in your silly mood?
		-- Allen Ginsberg