Re: Installing Debian/Hurd

>> Disclaimer: I haven't successfully completed hurd's installation.

 I have, well, yes and no.

>> >Hrm, when i first installed hurd i gunzip'd the /boot/gnumach.gz and
>> >serverboot.gz, because i had a bootstra error (i believe this was it..)
>>
>> You don't have to gunzip anything. Leave it as is.

 I unzipped them on recomendation as a test.
 Made no difference.
 When it boots, it doesn't matter if they are zipped or not, but it DOES
 matter when the file name is specified, I find.

>> >when using gzipd serverboot and gnumach.  Thats it, it hink.
>> >
>> >If you don't think that this is it, email me back and tell me what the
>> >error is =p
>>
>> Where exactly did the failure occur? Sending the last lines might be useful. I
>> know you can't cut-and-paste them, so just manually write it into a mail.

 My problems deal with SCSI.
 So....
 I "acquired" another IDE drive. Making 5 work is not easy :-)

 Got hurd running on an IDE drive, but it won't mount a scsi drive at all.
 GRUB finds, and uses the SCSI under BIOS control just fine, but the kernel
 crashes with a cannot find servers.boot file error every time if it's on the scsi.
 Works every time from IDE drives, though.
 Always get a failed initialization on the WD-7000 SCSI device ( small wonder,
 since the scsi is Advansys ) and probing each LUN times out, twice.
 Copied the whole bloody IDE hurd system to a scsi drive.
 Got me past the native-install script, anyway.
 Now getting "device unconfigured" errors on some disks, while others work.

 Will a Linux scsi driver module work with the hurd kernel somehow ?
 Can I boot a RAM disk, load the appropriate SCSI drivers, and then
 re-mount the SCSI disk as the root ?
 Does an advansys driver exist at all for the hurd ?
 Can it simply use the existing SCSI BIOS ??

 Is there any docs on this, so I can study the FM ??

 I'm starting to feel like a leach, rather than a contributor.

 ANY pointers appreciated.

--
Cowboy

It pays to be obvious, especially if you have a reputation for subtlety.