load averages

Hi,

My box has been up for about seven hours.  The extent of my usage is browsing
source code via nvi on the console and via a telnet session.  After coming
back from dinner an hour ago, my box went from slow to a crawl for no apparent
reason.  I ran `w' to get the load avenge; they were over 40! However, within
five minutes of running w, the load average dropped to under .2.  It is now
(2 minutes post that) down to 0.00 again.

Is this just a fluke or have others experienced the similar things?

-Neal

Neal Walfield                                              neal@walfield.org
UMass Lowell - Fox 1512                                  Phone: 978-934-5347
                                                           Fax: 603-415-3645
Love is the triumph of imagination over intelligence.
                -- H. L. Mencken