Re: Still having booting problems

> Why couldn't the HURD read my ext2 partition?  Well, for the same reason that
> GRUB 0.5.93 couldn't: I am using the latest ext2 tools under Linux and this
> caused your boot disk (the one on alpha.gnu.org) with Grub 0.5.93 to not be
> able to read the partition properly.  This was described by Gordon in a
> message about a month ago: due to incompatible updates in the ext2 tools the
> new partitions created by them are not backwards compatible with older ext2
> tools. I downloaded Gordon's latest Grub 0.5.93.1, this worked flawlessly,
> no more `funny' characters in the filenames!  I thought no more of it, until
> now.
>
> It would appear that the HURD or more exactly: serverboot is having the same
> problem: it cannot handle the newest ext2 format and is therefore silently
> dying upon accessing trying to access the partition!  Note that it is NOT
> ext2fs.static that is causing the problem here as we never actually get that
> far.
>
> -Neal
I downgraded to e2fsprogs to 1.12.-4 from slink, and it booted. Great!!!
The system suddenly rebootet somewhere at the end of ./native-install,
or as you like to call it ..//nnaattiivvee--iinnssttaallll :-), so I have something
todo tonight.

After the reboot, the file system was readonly. Any idea why?
Tom