Re: Another dumb question

On Mon, Oct 25, 1999 at 09:21:40PM +0100, Chris Lingard wrote:
> The Hurd here is totally stable and will compile for several
> hours with no problems.

That sounds wonderful!

> What I want to do is to build the Hurd, and see if I can be of some use
> to you.  I downloaded   gnumach.tar from the site above that is also
> carrying vim.  This made a new gnumach that was much smaller than the
> existing one.  I tried running it and it failed at boot saying "Unable
> to load hd1s1/gnu/boot/servers.boot", the correct gnumach loads it with
> no problem.  I suspect that I need to load more libraries and that I am
> just linking with stubs.

GNU Mach doesn't link to libraries (that's only a very small lie, actually).
I am not sure what your problem is. Get gnumach from CVS and compile your
own one, but make sure you have all drivers you need.

> I have also down loaded the Hurd using CVS as described in an earlier
> posting.  The version that I got lacked a configure script in the
> directory so I got one from hurd_19991022;  probably my next big
> mistake.

Look at how debian/rules configures the Hurd, look at the configure target.
Ignore all --build and --host options which are for cross compiling.

> After several hours building it failed in the  serversboot
> directory.  The line in the Makefile was:

Mmmh. Maybe you should really configure the Hurd proper and try again.

> Please let me how down load sufficient to get the Hurd to make itself?

I think you have all you need. Maybe get dpkg-hurd-dev and do:

dpkg-buildpackage -uc -B

to produce the debs.

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>