Re: Please explain in simple terms ...

[note: please break your lines better, it's easier on the eyes :) ]

On Sat, Oct 16, 1999 at 10:48:19AM +1300, lanz was heard to say:
> Please explain in layman terms ...
>  ( I have read all faq's/howto etc)

  I'll try, but I may be somewhat brief.

> Example
> ------------
>
> A system with a 2 GB hardrive and following partitions.
>
> 1) 25 mb > dos/fat16
> 2) 500 mb > win95c/fat32
> 3) 1393 mb > ext2 (proposed)/(debian/gnu/ --- hurd and/or linux mix/match)
> 4) 128mb > swapfile

> --------------------------------
>
> Given the example above:-
> --------------------------------------
>
> Q1) I understand debian/gnu/hurd uses a ext2 partition
>       Does this have to be a primary partition or can it be a partition
> contained
>       within a dos/extended partition as a logical partition an ext2 etc
> and be
>       booted via grub instead,or for some reason must it be
> primary,therefore
>       why,and for what specific reasons,and also can the swapfile be placed
>       within a dos extended logical partition area instead of in the
> primary area
>       and/or can gnu/linux have a swapfile in such area/partition.

  A logical partition is fine.  You have to know, though, that the partition
numbers start at 5 for logical partitions (primaries get 1-4)

> Q2) I understand debian/gnu/hurd can't simply be installed like linux,and
> that
>       the hurd requires linux to be present to install the hurd in the
> nominated
>       partition designated/planned for the hurd?.After the hurd is
> installed can
>       one remove the linux partition which was used to install the hurd in
> the
>       hurd/ext2/partition?I ask this because I have doslinux using 10 meg
> in
>       my dos partition and could use this just to install the hurd in it's
> area
>       or is there/will there be a dependancy between the hurd and
> debian/linux.

  You can just delete the Linux partition if you wish.  I'm not sure whether
cross-install will run in doslinux, but I don't see any reason to not try.

> Q3) Once this Hurd has been installed I need to know if/and/how it
> interacts
>       with linux,mainly because I wonder if one can then install linux into
> the
>       same partition that the hurd resides or must linux reside in another
>       seperate ext2/partition instead of sharing same partition with the
> hurd.

  Yes, you can install them to the same partition -- sort of.  It's possible
to boot the Hurd from a subdirectory of an ext2 partition, or from a big file
inside an ext2 partition.  Check the list archives for more details on this,
it comes up periodically (and I'm too lazy to look it up myself :P )

>       How does the hurd handle linux programs/software now/future and can
>       you please define the 2 types/linux binaries and how they differ from
>       what executables are/and how the hurd interacts with debian/linux and
>       applications or is there a factor for recompiling linux stuff to work
> with
>       the debian/gnu/hurd.

  Binaries are programs which have been compiled to machine code, executables
are anything that you can execute as a program(including scripts).
  As far as Linux programs go: the Hurd doesn't currently run them.  It might
in the future.  For now most of what the Debian GNU/Hurd port is doing (as far
as I can tell) is trying to recompile stuff en masse.

> Q4) I understand that if say I have a Debian/linux/ext2 partition running
> linux
>       I can possibly install/run the hurd in a subdir of the linux
> partition? T/F ?
>       Perhaps this is only a plan for the future or can they exist in the
> same
>       partition but in different directories and I also assume if this is
> the case
>       installation packages must share libraries for compiling etc too ???

  Hm?  No, the environments are entirely separate.  There would be a Hurd
directory somewhere ("/usr/local/hurd" maybe) with the Hurd filesystem, kernel,
programs, libraries and all, stuck inside it.  You'd then use some GRUB magic
to boot it (again, check the archives..)
  I think that cross-install doesn't handle this case yet, and you'll have to
install this way by untaring one of the big-tarball distributions into a
directory somewhere.

>  Thanks ( in advanace/I'm trying to understand the faqs/howto explanations)
> ..

  Good luck :)

 [blank lines snipped]

  Daniel

--
"I can see that you are clearly a much better swordsman than I am!"
"Then why are you smiling?"