Re: UDI

On Mon, Oct 04, 1999 at 03:49:34PM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> Of course, the FAQ is short on technical details. It doesn't say if the
> compatibility is provided at a source or binary level, which would be an
> interesting question considering license issues.

Ok, a few mouse clicks away:
(http://www.sco.com/press/releases/1998/6816.html)

   In the first public demonstration ever, the driver ran under SCO UnixWare
   2, UnixWare 7, and Hewlett-Packard HP-UX simply by recompiling identical
   driver source code.

In our case, this simply means that distributing binary only drivers
compiled for the Hurd is not allowed if, for example, they link to the
Hurd GPL libraries in any way (even when there are some intermediate
libraries).

As the specification is free, the only question is if the implementation of
UDI will be free. Otherwise I can't see a problem.