Re: Odd Guile compilation problems

Daniel Burrows <Daniel_Burrows@brown.edu> writes:

>   I have a few more silly questions that came up while I was trying to
> compile Guile. :-)
>
>   First: The 'make install' phase of the Guile package passes the argument
> '-j 2' to make by default.  In a Hurd compile this seems to die with the
> complaint: "make[1]: *** wait: Resource temporarily unavailable.  Stop."
>   I worked around this simply by removing the -j but I was wondering whether
> this is a known issue.

I have removed those from the rules file.  I suupose they were in
there from before I took over maintenance of the package, as I've
never had a SMP machine so -j2 would not be something I'd be included
to try.

>   Second: for some reason, the Hurd build produces a shared library named
> 'libguile.so.4.0'.  I believe that this is out of whack with the expected
> result of 'libguile.so.4.0.0' -- at any rate, debian/rules assumes at one
> point that this file exists and that 'libguile.so.4' (also missing) exists.
> Is this a problem in autoconf, automake, or libtool?  I notice that libglib
> (which is also built with these programs) correctly produces the file
> libglib-1.2.so.0.0.3 when built in the Hurd, so I'm hesitant to
> implicate them.

Hmm, this is interesting.  I see in another response to your message
that it is a possible libtool issue.  Could someone give me a
suggestion as to how the rules file should handle this?  is there some
way I can force libtool to use a consistent versioning scheme?

--
Craig Brozefsky        <craig@red-bean.com>
Less matter, more form!      - Bruno Schulz