Re: Request for help - my computer 'bought the farm'

On Sun, May 30, 1999 at 06:06:21PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:

>   This is the syntax I was using: debian/rules binary | less 2>&1.  I think that

when using a pipe you must redirect stderr to stdout on the right (that is
the left) side of the pipe.

	debian/rules binary 2>&1 | less

this is not the same as redirecting to a file

	debian/rules binary > /dev/null 2>&1

To understand the difference you must see that when using a pipe you have
two processes, where the pipe is set up before redirecting on either side
happens.

	Steinar