Re: Fwd: Re: GGI and Hurd.

Hi,

On Fri, May 28, 1999 at 10:07:26PM -0700, Kien Pham wrote:

> > > It seems that the Hurd guys are very receptive to the
> > idea
> > > of GGI.
> I assumed this from the replies to my message. If I'm
> wrong, you can go ahead and hit me with a wet paddock.
> > What source information is this statement based on? :-))

GGI is an interesting concept, and in my opinion it mixes well with the
modular and extensible structure of the Hurd. It's good that GGI had to
develop most of their stuff outside of the Linux kernel, this should make it
easier portable.

> > > Who's is/wants to work on this and how may I be of
> > > assistance?
> >
> > I could use the help of someone working on a HURD port of
> > the
> > KGI environment. Just to prove portability of the display
> > drivers.
> > The first thing to do would be a little summary
> > how consoles currently done under Hurd, and what the
> > future
> > plans are.

(I don't know much about the Hurd terminal driver and the intentions of the
developers. I expect them to jump in and explain it better).

Currently, we have a terminal driver for the console, but it is not very
feature rich. It works (of course), but AFAIK it was never meant to be the
one and only terminal driver for the Hurd.

Consoles are managed by the "term" translator. Please refer to the source
how it is done. The term translator also cares about tty and com devices.

The next step was to port the Linux char drivers to GNU Mach, so we could
use PS/2, for example, and other stuff (like dev/random). Okuji did a lot of
qwork on that, but currently the development seems to have stalled a little
bit.

Maybe it would be a good idea to help Okuji with this and go from there?

> > > I must warn you, I've not much experience with
> > > Hurd, but I'm a proficient Linux programmer. (At least
> > > that's what I tell all the girls. :) )
> >
> > A little summary how to contact resposible persons of the
> > HURD team,
> > how to get up-to-date development snapshots, etc. would
> > be useful.

Ok, here you are:

general questions about the HUrd, you can also use help-hurd@gnu.org, but
development should probably not be discussed there. And: development of Hurd
solely should also not discussed on this list, if it is not related to
Debian. Burt the borders are very smooth, and the important people are
subscribed to all lists.

The development snapshots are available in binary form from any Debian
mirror in the directory debian/dists/sid/main/binary-hurd-i386. Pgp is only
available outside of USA:
ftp://nonus.debian.org/debian-non-US/dists/sid/non-US/main/binary-hurd-i386

Some software is also only available from
ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/hurd
(check especially debian/ and contrib/marcus). On alpha you will also find
source snapshots.

Installation instructions are available at
http://pick.sel.cam.ac.uk/~mcv21/hurd.html

You can also get the Hurd and GNU Mach from CVS. See
http://www.gnu.org/software/devel/

for details on repositories.

Please forward this information to the GGI mailing list.