dkpg tries to run external programs

Hello!

I forgot to mention following problem while running cross-install
There are following messages:

Installing optional packages, this may take some time.
- /home/proski/oldroot/dist/dhurd/admin/locales_2.1.1-7.deb

dpkg did return unusual messages, please investigate:

dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 3 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
/sbin.
dpkg: `ldconfig' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `start-stop-daemon' not found on PATH.
dpkg: `update-rc.d' not found on PATH.
dpkg: 3 expected program(s) not found on PATH.
NB: root's PATH should usually contain /usr/local/sbin, /usr/sbin and
/sbin.

Why does dpkg try to run the above programs? I'm almost sure that it is
not needed for cross-install. Is it possible to disable running external
programs from dpkg?

My solution was to make symlinks
/sbin/ldconfig -> ~/bin/ldconfig
/bin/true -> ~/bin/start-stop-daemon
/bin/true -> ~/bin/update-rc.d

I don't have start-stop-daemon and update-rc.d, because my Linux is RedHat
(sorry, Debian fans).

Pavel Roskin