Re: Ext2fs bug going updating debian package

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 02:54:22PM -0400, Roland McGrath wrote:
> > Disk /dev/hda: 255 heads, 63 sectors, 784 cylinders
> > Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 bytes
> >
> >    Device Boot    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
> > /dev/hda1             1      262  2104483+   b  Win95 FAT32
> > /dev/hda2   *       263      654  3148740   83  Linux native
> > /dev/hda3           655      671   136552+  82  Linux swap
> > /dev/hda4           672      784   907672+  83  Linux native
>
> Hmm, that doesn't look like it should be too big.  It also looks a lot
> smaller than the 800+MB partition your df showed.  (Those "Blocks" up there
> are 512 bytes each, so 907672 block is 453836 kilobytes.)  My Hurd
> partition is bigger than that (mine is about 630MB).  Are you sure the
> filesystem is formatted properly?

Not 100% certain. Also, I think that fdisk is reporting 1k blocks, as I
know that I have a 2GB 98 Partition, and a 3GB Linux partition.

> > Is there anything I can do to make it at least work as well as it has
> > been?
>
> Well, you could comment out the size check in ext2fs/ext2fs.c.
> I don't know if that would do what you want or not.

I'll try that if the reformat doesn't work.  I don't really know enough
about ext2 partitions to know if I'm doing something bad (My guidebook
here on Hard disk partitioning schemes is dated 1986) - Do you know where
the ext2 documentation is, so I can maybe try and do useful debugging?

> > Given a choice (which I may not be given, it seems. <grin>) I'd rather
> > not format and redo the install as it's been considerably customized away
> > from the Debian install.
>
> It looks like you have plenty of disk space around.  Why don't you use tar
> or dump/restore on linux to save the contents of the filesystem in a file
> someplace else, and then reformat and restore?

Does tar support translators/HURD device files yet, or should I recreate
those after?

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate plants.