Re: boot floppies [was: an important task]

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 07:36:21AM +0100, M.C. Vernon wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>
> > Well, not that I would recommend installing Mach on any low end machine...
>
> Which is a problem in a couple of regards:
>
> 1) (partly from experience) Hurd seems much slower than Linux. Is this an
> issue that's going to be addressed...?

Well, somebody needs to start profiling things and work on optimzation, also
by adding some special RPC's for tasks where currently many RPC's in
sequence are necessary.

This is something I am not worried about right now. Read Knuth. Preliminary
optimzation is evil :)

> 2) Most people who can spare a development machine are going to be able to
> spare only a low-end one...

This is correct. But still, you won't be able to do much development on them
(compilation takes memory and disk space, which is the only thing crucial)