Re: Wrong MAKEDEV

> The most serious problem with GNU Hurd I encountered so far is that
> /dev/MAKEDEV from the Debian distribution knows nothing about Hurd
> devices. It is for Linux, not for Hurd. Ask Hurd developers for a better
> MAKEDEV. You can take one from
> ftp://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/hurd/contrib/marcus/gnu-19990104.tar.gz

Perhaps we should take this opportunity to consider a better
mechanism for Hurd device drivers to provide interfaces.

Major and minor numbers are basically magic number handwaving -
also, they have bad implications for network transparency.  Perhaps
we should look at BSD devfs or perhaps even the solaris way of doing
things, which manages to be elegant yet unix-compatible at the same
time.