Success, to some extent

Ok, I've got the system booting (hooray! ;) but native-install won't run
without a huge mess of errors -- these are at the end of this mail.

Marcus, I assume these actually work, but the instructions are outdated. I
am able to help with this, if you lend me a hand.

additionally, when trying to run ae, I see it's been linked against
libc.so.6; the only libc in hurd is libc.so.0.2 -- this is its proper soname
anyway.

Additionally, as I saw a 'perl' package in base on ftp.us.debian.org (for
i386 hurd) I assumed that the provided perl .tar.gz was sufficient -- is it
not?

One last thing: After I've booted, I see no /dev/hd?s? devices. /dev/MAKEDEV
doesn't know how to make them. Do they need to be there? And do they not
represent directories under GNU Hurd?

As it looked pretty close, I just took every .deb in
sid/main/binary-i386-hurd/base and ran cross-install. perhaps this was wrong.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted. I'll try to get dpkg finished configuring
everything... checking man pages now....

/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing ncurses-base (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing textutils (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of bsdutils:
 bsdutils depends on sysvinit (>= 2.59-2); however:
  Package sysvinit is not installed.
dpkg: error processing bsdutils (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libnet-perl:
 libnet-perl depends on perl (>= 5.004-0); however:
  Package perl is not installed.
 libnet-perl depends on data-dumper | perl (>= 5.005-0); however:
  Package data-dumper is not installed.
  Package perl is not installed.
dpkg: error processing libnet-perl (--configure):
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing base-passwd (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing makedev (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing tar (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of modconf:
 modconf depends on whiptail; however:
  Package whiptail is not installed.
 modconf depends on modutils (>= 2.1.85-14); however:
  Package modutils is not installed.
dpkg: error processing modconf (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pppconfig:
 pppconfig depends on ppp (>= 2.3); however:
  Package ppp is not installed.
 pppconfig depends on whiptail; however:
  Package whiptail is not installed.
dpkg: error processing pppconfig (--configure):
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing gzip (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of dpkg-ftp:
 dpkg-ftp depends on libnet-perl; however:
  Package libnet-perl is not configured yet.
 dpkg-ftp depends on data-dumper; however:
  Package data-dumper is not installed.
dpkg: error processing dpkg-ftp (--configure):
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing findutils (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing shellutils (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing slang1 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing timezones (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing perl-base (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing login (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing fileutils (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing mawk (--configure):
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing diff (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
/dev/fd/4: /dev/fd/4: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing libstdc++2.9 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 127
dpkg: too many errors, stopping
 ncurses-base
 textutils
 bsdutils
 libnet-perl
 base-passwd
 makedev
 tar
 modconf
 pppconfig
 gzip
 dpkg-ftp
 findutils
 shellutils
 slang1
 timezones
 perl-base
 login
 fileutils
 mawk
 diff
 libstdc++2.9
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.

The one recurring thing here is that /dev/fd/4 error. What does that mean?

Thanks in advance!

--
..Aaron Van Couwenberghe... ..vanco@sonic.net.. ..aaronv@debian.org....
	Berlin:			http://www.berlin-consortium.org

"...Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing..."
	-- Ralph Waldo Emerson