Re: Installation experiences

On Thu, Feb 25, 1999 at 08:21:00AM +0000, Jules Bean wrote:

> > POSIX.pm will _not_ be moved to perl-base, because the whole idea of
> > perl-base is to have a small minimal perl which fits on the boot disk.
> > The right solution is to fix install-info and dpkg-divert (IIRC) not to need
> > ENOENT at all. Patches are welcome (not just hacks, we need to make IanJ
> > happy).
>
> Why can't we hard-code the value of ENOENT?  We know what it's going to be
> - our install disks will only ever run with the version of glibc which is
> on them.

Uh. The ENOENT value on Linux is different then the value on the Hurd.

And, do you want to change the ENOENT value when porting Debian, making dpkg
not only source incompatible but also binary incompatible with different
versions of glibc or whatever is the API in use?

Hardcoding error value is a bad idea, if you consider porting and
compatibility. Rewriting it to use "-e" test or similar is possible and
should be done, IMHO.