Re: packages to download

On Mon, Feb 08, 1999 at 06:21:04PM +0000, Chahine HAMILA wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have been downloading some of the debian packages from
> ftp://ftp1.us.debian.org/debian/dists/unstable/main/binary-hurd-i386/
>
> Actually I have downloaded only the admin, base and comm directories. I
> wanted to know if all the directories contained packages working on the
> hurd (or at least were in alpha stage) or only some of them did. The
> distribution seems huge, so I'd like to download only those for the
> hurd.

You can also get the devel directory, and the "editor" and "text"
directories. And "games" :)

NOt all packages work, but all BINARY packages work. Some packages are
binary ALL, those are shared by all Debian ports (linux and hurd), and we
don't know if they work. Some may, some may not. I am working on a list.

> OTOH, I have seen the list of packages in the main directory, but
> looking for each one seperately may cost a lot more than downloading all
> the packages in one operation.

Most packages work. If not, let us know. Later, we will be able to use apt
and you only need to download the files you need. Are you connected to a
network (even under Hurd?) Then please try apt in "ADMIN" section.