Re: GRUB maintainership

Hi!

 EB> I'm working on it kind of low key right now (responding to a
 EB> batch of email messages once every 2 weeks or so).

I think that's a little too slow for this stage of Debian GNU/Hurd's
development (no offense intended... I know you must be busy with other
things).

Would you object to me doing some aggressive point releases of 0.5
(i.e. 0.5.1, 0.5.2, etc), and then reporting back to you when I
discover which new features/bug fixes seem to work well?

I'm not so interested in taking over GRUB as I am in quickly obtaining
a set of working Debian GNU/Hurd installation disks.  After I have
that, I'll relax, and probably be content with whatever pace you want
to set for future development.

Up until that time, though, I feel pretty impatient, and don't want to
have to wait two weeks just to get replies from you.

 EB> So, I'm throwing it open...  what do people fundamentally want
 EB> here?  Lot's of new features, or mostly bug fixes ??

Both. ;)

Seriously, though, there are many things that can be done to make GRUB
work better with the Hurd.  I don't care what gets implemented first,
just so long as there are signs of rapid progress towards having an
easy-to-use GNU binary distribution.

Anyway, I hope you find my proposal (of me putting out some point
releases) agreeable.  I think it would be unfair to all parties for us
Hurd people to keep bugging you about GRUB at this time when our
priorities are obviously different.

 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)
[Unfortunately, www.fig.org is broken.  Please stay tuned for details.]