egcs or gcc?

Hi,

For C++, the answer is easy: egcs is the state of the art.

For gcc, the answer is a bit harder: i386 does use gcc 2.7.2.3, other
plattforms use egcs. The main reason for i386 to use 2.7.2.3 is because gcc
2.8.1 does not get the assembler code in the Linux kernel right.

I propose that we use egcs for both, C and C++. Any objections?

I will have egcs packages ready somewhat later this week. I am running a
bootstrap build right now (I just rebooted, because it crashed again).

Thisleads to another question: can I have a swap file instead a swap
partition? If yes, how so?

Consider egcs done.