Re: New Hurd pages available for preview

Hi!

[Attention, Stephen... some of the below points apply to your FAQs,
too, since Matthias used a lot of information from them.]

 MP> - The pattern for the copyright notice (boilerplate) states
 MP> copyright 1998. Should this be updated to 1999?

Yes.  I've updated this for the pages I edited.  Just be sure that if
you are deriving work from something that was already copyrighted, you
should make sure that all its years appear in the new copyright.

So, most of the Hurd pages will look like:

Copyright (C) 1998, 1999 ...

or something.  See the GNU maintainers guide (on your GNU mirror,
standards/maintain.texi) for more details on copyright years.

 MP> - There recently was an update to the Hurd reference manual. Has
 MP> it been incorporated in the online versions?

I don't know.  I'll look after this, because I was the one who last
touched it.

Other comments (you don't have to act on all of them... I just want to
make these things public before I forget what I thought of the pages):

* Could you put the contents of navigation.html into the body of the
  main web page so that instead of ``No Frames!'' being displayed when
  viewing with lynx, you get a nicely-formatted menu.  If not, then
  please change the message to something more friendly, such as ``Your
  browser does not support frames, but don't worry, you can still view
  this pages.  Click here for the navigation page.''

* All http links to directories should end in a slash.  So, use
  `http://www.debian.org/', not `http://www.debian.org'.

* Please specify a lighter link colour for the navigation bar.  Dark
  blue on black is very hard to read.

* If you want the pages to look really cool, maybe use the GIMP or
  something to create an inverted copy of the logo (make it white on
  black instead of black on white).

* I've fixed a number of grammar and spelling mistakes in the pages.
  I hope that's okay with you... I didn't bother reporting them all
  here because they aren't design decisions.  Please don't take this
  as harsh criticism... your English is very understandable.  I'm just
  anal when it comes to how things are written. ;)

* We're talking about ``the Hurd'', not just ``Hurd''.  Please take a
  look at my changes to your pages to get a better understanding of
  the English usage of this word (hint: it's used like the country
  name _U.S._).

* It would be nice to have hyperlinks to the GNUs bulletins that are
  mentioned in hurd-history.html.

* What does ``(q.v.)'' in learning-more-about-microkernels.html mean?

* I moved the FSF disclaimers to appear before links outside of
  www.gnu.org, rather than after them.  I think this is more prudent,
  and consistent with the rest of www.gnu.org.

* I've changed getting-help.html to make a better distinction between
  Debian GNU/Hurd and the Hurd proper.

* I've added several people to the acknowledgements.html page.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)