Roadmap

Hi,

this is my roadmap for the next days.

1) Finalizing base packages.

   The current set of base packages works, but has a few cludges and flaws I
want to resolve before we go on with other packages. Most of the flaws are
documented, and can be resolved by a simple recompile. I hope Rolands patch
for file locking does work well enough so that dpkg, perl, and password
programs work with it. At some time I will say, "enough", and will stop
recompiling bash the 27th time.

2) Adding hurd support to dpkg.

   Currently, dpkg does not know about the hurd, it thinks it is still in a
linux environment (bad for building and installing packages, for the latter
you need force-architecture option, for the former a wrapper). I am working
on a way to fix it, but it requires changes to dpkg and therefore discussion
with the developers.

Also, the changes will result in a better way to cross compile, and
debian/rules files will have to be changed somewhat. At this stage, I will
sent patches to the Debian maintainers of these.

3) Uploading a new gnu-...tar.gz

   When I have done both of the above things, I will upload new install
scripts and a new tar package. This should be the last upload of this sort.
The next step in the installation progress would be to work on real boot
floppies and similar. But there are more important things: We need more
packages, egcs must be compiled (which I can't do due to disk space), the
init procedure must be looked at and many "little" things (networking!).

With the boot floppies I would like to wait until GRUB is the standard boot
loader in Debian.

4) News

   I have done (hopefully) finalizing uploads of binutils, gcc 2.7.2.3,
bash, base-passwd, ae and slang1, gnumach. Unfortunately, there is a minor
nit: the specs file of gcc currently contains a "rpath" option to the
linker. This is bad, because Debian's policy dictates "no rpath". Some of
the package I uploaded have the rpath (I compiled them natively before
noticing it, namely bash and gcc itself). Even worse, the gcc package
contains the bad specs file.

I don't think I will do another upload for this. Please patch your specs
file using the following diff, before compiling and uploading packages
compiled natively (FYI, the rpath is not doing real harm, so don't worry if
you are not a Debian maintainer):

*** lib/gcc-lib/i486-gnu/2.7.2.3/specs~ Wed Jan  6 01:33:05 1999
--- lib/gcc-lib/i486-gnu/2.7.2.3/specs  Wed Jan  6 19:06:12 1999
***************
*** 17,23 ****
  %{!shared:crtend.o%s} %{shared:crtendS.o%s} crtn.o%s

  *link:
! -m elf_i386 %{shared:-shared}   %{!shared:     %{!ibcs:       %{!static: %{rdynamic:-export-dynamic}         %{!dynamic-linker:-dynamic-linker /lib/ld.so}   %{!rpath:-rpath /lib/}} %{static:-static}}}

  *lib:
  %{bsd:-lbsd-compat} %{!p:%{!pg:-lc}}%{p:-lc_p}%{pg:-lc_p}
--- 17,23 ----
  %{!shared:crtend.o%s} %{shared:crtendS.o%s} crtn.o%s

  *link:
! -m elf_i386 %{shared:-shared}   %{!shared:     %{!ibcs:       %{!static: %{rdynamic:-export-dynamic}         %{!dynamic-linker:-dynamic-linker /lib/ld.so}  %{static:-static}}}

  *lib:
  %{bsd:-lbsd-compat} %{!p:%{!pg:-lc}}%{p:-lc_p}%{pg:-lc_p}

If you are cross compiling, you may think you are safe, but not you are!
There is another problem which occurs when cross compiling, but not when
doing native compilation: Some Debian packages, especially lib-dev packages
contain _absolute_ lib.so links. You should make them relative before
linking... This is true for libreadline-dev, slang1-dev, libncurses-dev.
This is actually not a bug in the package, it is mandated by Debian policy.

The version numbers in case you wonder what you should fetch:
bash-builtins_2.01.1-4.2_hurd-i386.deb
gcc_2.7.2.3-6_hurd-i386.deb
bash_2.01.1-4.2_hurd-i386.deb
cpp_2.7.2.3-6_hurd-i386.deb