Re: The Hurd and autoconf (Was problem making severboot)

>> o I read through the autoconf script, and changed it so that it did
>>   not use precompiled include files.
>
>Say what now?

When autoconf calls m4 it calls it with some option that loads
preprocessed macro files.  The macro definitions have been run through
m4 already, so it is presumably faster to load them into m4's symbol
table.  This seems like a bad sort of optimization to me, since I guess
it doesn't save that much time, and it's fraught with the possibility
of semantic errors.  (Vide precompiled headers in Visual C++, or the
problems you get with most Ada program libraries.)  I fiddled with
the autoconf definition so that this behavior was disabled.  It
didn't fix the problem.

Brent Fulgham says that autoconf is good at identifying the Hurd
if you have a current version.  I believe the version I have is the
latest from Debian unstable, which is 2.13.  I also have the latest
automake, for what little that may be worth.

Bill White <bill.white@griggsinst.com>
"There's no art to find the mind's construction in the ASCII."
Macbeth, Act I scene 1 (first draft).