Re: Problem making serverboot Re: new hurd package

On Mon, Dec 13, 1999 at 05:00:11PM +0300, Roman Belenov wrote:
> I had some problems then building Hurd and it seems that the reason is
> still  there.  serverboot/Makefile  includes  ../Makeconf  after using
> $srcdir    variable    defined   in  it so vpath directive didn't work
> and make couldn't find boot_script.c;  I've placed  directive  'include
> ../Makeconf';  after that there are were problems in link because make
> always took exec.o from ../exec (even after I inserted . to VPATH), so
> I  had  to hide exec.* from exec dir to make make :-) compile exec.c
> form serverboot dir.
>
> It  seems that other people didn't experience such problems although I
> don't know why.

Probably you are not building in a subdirectory:

mkdir build
cd build
../configure ...etc...

You should always build in a subdirectory. I don't know if the Hurd
developers accept bug reports for this if you are building in a top level
directory, but I am sure they will tell us. Roland?