Re: Partition type 0x6 ?

Hi!

John Tobey wrote:
> Wolfgang "Jährling" <wolfgang@pro-linux.de> wrote:
> The owner field is not the same thing as the partition type.  FAT16 is
> a partition type, as is ext2 (aka Linux native).  Partition types are
> stored in a special table, not in the partition.  The owner indicator
> is a special field within an ext2 filesystem.  e2os changes the owner
> field.  You can change the partition type using fdisk, cfdisk, etc.
> It should be Linux native (0x83, I believe) for the Hurd.  It is *NOT*
> recommended to use the "GNU/Hurd" partition type code for ext2
> partitions, because that is reserved for future Hurd-specific use.

Thanks, but... long long ago the partition-type *was* FAT16,
*then* I destroyed DOS any installed Debian GNU/Linux, it was now
ext2fs (owned by Linux). Now I want to install GNU/Hurd so I did
an e2os on it to make it Hurd-owned. But why do Grub and
Hurd say it's FAT16? (the Linux which I boot from floppy can
mount it as ext2)

I know I could destroy everything with fdisk to start from
scratch, but then I had to copy the Hurd to this box again and
since I can do this only with floppys, this would waste another
6 hours or so...

--
"Computers are useless.  They can only give you answers."
    -- Pablo Picasso