Re: Booting the Hurd from a loopback FS?

    >> So, is it possible using GRUB to boot the Hurd from a file
    >> within an ext2 partition?

    Roland> Yes, this has been discussed here in the past (check the
    Roland> archives).  Note that this has not been tested much at
    Roland> all.  What I recommend is using -Tremap store type, which
    Roland> means figuring out the list of disk blocks (512-byte
    Roland> hardware disk blocks) that your file resides in.

All righty.

I found
http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-hurd-9907/msg00092.html,
I'm assuming that is the information which you referred to?

I have a few questions about this method. I'm assuming that to do the
original modifications to the /boot/servers.boot, I should copy the
original from the disk image I made? What should the GRUB
configuration look like? In the sample I have, my current settings
are:

# For booting the GNU Hurd
#title  GNU/Hurd
#root   (hd0,0)
#kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s1
#module /boot/serverboot.gz
Do I thus need to copy gnumach.gz into /boot as well? Or, do I need to
#change that in some other manner? I'm assuming the root is fine,
#since the serverboot will do the chroot.

And, one final question (Thought it'd never end, didja? :) Will the
resulting system run slower since the file is residing within another
filesystem, or will the speed difference not be noticable? Or, is
there even a speed difference?

Oh, wait, there's one more. :) (Quoting from above for convenience):

    Roland> all.  What I recommend is using -Tremap store type, which
    Roland> means figuring out the list of disk blocks (512-byte
    Roland> hardware disk blocks) that your file resides in.

How do I determine this, and what exactly is -Tremap store type?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just extremely interested in the
Hurd, and would like to try it out and help if I can.