Paging errors.

Hi, this is my first time installing the hurd and I'm stumped.  I have installed everything correctly (afaik, at least..I followed the easy install guide) thus far.  I got to booting and everything was going fine up to:

Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[hd0s1] exec init proc auth

then directly after that line I got:

(default pager): dropping data_request because of previous paging errors
memory_object_data_request(0x0, 0x0, 0x19000, 0x1000, 0x1) failed, 268435459

I have no clue what could cause this sort of error.  I checked the partition fro bad blocks.  I've also reinstalled different ways (using the latest tarball or separate .debs) each time producing the same error.  The computer is an i486dx/33MHz with 8mb of ram and the harddisk is a 1GB IDE disk.  The root partition for the hurd is 256MB and there are also some other ext2 partitions on the disk (including a 96MB linux swap parition.. does hurd automagically use these?)  I hope this information helps, and you guys can figure out a solution to my problem.  Email back to me if you need any other information.  Thanks for your time.
--sfh