Re: Where is libc for the Hurd?

At 02:22 PM 11/8/99 -0500, Roland McGrath wrote:
>> I am looking at the nfsd, but I am getting traps and failures in:
>>
>> sleep -> mach_msg -> mach_msg_trap
>
>Please be more specific.  Can you show us the gdb backtrace and so forth?
>What does "traps and failures" mean exactly?
Sorry.  I don't have it right in front of me, but I get a trace trap
(SIGIOT maybe?), and then, when I continue that, a SEGV.  I think it
is related to GDB, since I don't see this when I run the program
outside of GDB.  Is it possible that GDB breaks on some signal
which is normally ignored, and that some problem with restarting
after the trap causes the program to get a SEGV?  I am not a gdb
expert anymore, if I ever was.  Is it possible in gdb to turn
off breaking in some circs?  That is, can I turn off breaking for
the trace trap?

I don't believe that the sources will necessarily help me with my
nfsd problem.  I rather suspect that it is a misconfiguration of my
system, since the mount failure is always a stale NFS handle.  But
I still want to look at the source, if only to see what's going on.
I have been working with SW whose source I can only guess at for
so long that it's refreshing to know I can actually see the code.

So, if the Hurd libc and the GNU/Linux libc are the same source base,
does that mean that most of the Hurd's libc is identical to Linux?
I thought that the Hurd's libc was in constant flux, though I can't
recover how I got that impression.  Is the GNU/Linux libc in flux
as well, and how is the work on the two synchronized?

Bill White <bill.white@griggsinst.com>
"There's no art to find the mind's construction in the ASCII."
Hamlet, Act I scene 1 (first draft).