Re: A few other problems

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Sat, Nov 06, 1999 at 04:34:38PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> > 1) People that telnet to the box can go around and cat files (even
> > /etc/passwd!) without even logging in.
>
> The Hurd has the concept of a user who is not logged in. A fourth set of rwx
> permissions. Those are set to r-x by default it seems. The right fix would
> be to modify chmod etc to support those flags and make use of it.

What I need is a guide to these things.  I know the top-level (generic
microkernel vs. macrokernel) and the low-level (different commands,
from the quickstart guides), but not the in-between (ie, what is a
stranslator?  what can it do?  why do I use socket/2 when I set up the
network?  what is socket/2?)

> (It's not a bug, it's a feature.)

OK :-)

> > 3) there is no proc
>
> proc is by no means any standard in any way. There is the libps library if
> you need to talk to the proc server. If you want to write a proc fs emulator
> for linux binaries, go for it. It can be implemented as a translator :)

Right, I just thought df was looking for it :-)

--
John Goerzen   Linux, Unix consulting & programming   jgoerzen@complete.org |
The 108,694th digit of pi is 5.