RE: Realtime hurd?

> >Will it be possible to write hard-realtime applications under hurd, I
have
> >heard that it is possible under linux if you link your application into
> >kernel space like a driver module.
>
> This would be very cool. It should support multimedia apps and
> synchronizing different multimedia streams.

Mmm...
It was actually a question, but I must have hit "," instead of the "?"
mark...

By the way, I think we are talking about different kind of realtime.

With "Hard realtime" i mean that the application can preempt the kerenl
itself.
When the application can preempt the OS ( like when you sets nicelevel to
-20 ) I talk about it as "Soft realtime".

I don't think you would like to run a multimedia app in hard realtime
because it would probably violate the stability of the entire system.

Othervise I agree with you that a "Soft realtime" API would be a cool thing
for user space apps to use. :)
Perhaps it allready exists?
Perhaps the question should be: "What are the realtime abilitys of the Hurd
kernel/Hurd OS today, and in a possible future?"

// Liss