Re: Installation report

On Mon, Oct 18, 1999 at 01:35:37PM +0100, Dr A V Le Blanc wrote:
> Both sets of scripts failed when I had my default umask of 066.
> This may be a 'religious' option, but it would be easy enough
> to set the umask 022 in the script and avoid potential problems.

Thanks for pointing out.

> Both install procedures advise booting from a GRUB disk which
> does not in fact work.

Sick, isn't it? Maybe we should not mention how to use GRUB at all.

You need to create your own grub disk, which isn't too hard.

>      root=   (hd0,1)
>      kernel= /boot/gnumach.gz root=hd0s2 -s
>      module= /boot/serverboot.gz

That's right.

> which, as far as I can tell, should have worked.  The Hurd actually
> starts booting, but it fails when it tries to run e2fsck.static on
> the root partition, from which I infer that the argument 'hd0s2'
> in not quite correct.

What's the exact error message? Which version of the hurd package are you
using?

"The purpose of Free Software is Free Software.
The End and the Means are the same."  -- Craig Sanders

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>