Building the Hurd

Can someone tell me what the best way is to get the latest version of the
Hurd compiled?  I have version 0.2 running now, but I need to get some fixes
that are in later versions.  I've downloaded different source snapshots,
like 0329 and 1004, but they won't compile.  The 1004 version seems to need
some files I don't have, and the 0329 version had a plethora of compilation
errors.  I also downloaded a newer binary tarball, which runs, but it didn't
contain the files that I needed to build the Hurd myself.  It seems version
0.2 is the only version that has a complete tarball with everything you
need.

Kevin Musick