Re: Latest ext2fs Failure

> *sigh*  I might as well chime in with my experiences.
>
> Got hurd_19991004.  Ran mke2fs on all relevant partitions, using -o
> hurd for the root.  Installed according to the Easy Guide.  Did
>
>     mkdir /jtobey
>     settrans /jtobey /hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd0s6
>     chown jtobey /jtobey
>
> Now as user jtobey I get:
>
>     $ cd /jtobey
>     cd: could not get current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: Translator died

Whenever you see this error "Translator died", then what you should do
is manually set the active translator:

	settrans -a /jtobey /hurd/ext2fs /dev/hd0s6

Then you should be able to see any messages from ext2fs come to the
terminal where you ran settrans.  It may be something straightforward
causing ext2fs to fail to start up at all.  If it does start up and then it
crashes, then start it up, run gdb /hurd/ext2fs and attach to the right
pid, suspend gdb, do "sh -c 'cd /jtobey' &" or whatever causes it to crash
(putting the command in the background since it will block talking to the
ext2fs process that you have sitting stopped in gdb--or you can do it on a
different terminal).  Then go back to gdb and do "cont"--you should see it
stop where ext2fs is crashing; do "bt" there, and show us everything gdb said.