Re: note for installing on Redhat6.0

Hello,
On Tue, 7 Sep 1999, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 07, 1999 at 11:18:40AM +1200, David Ferry wrote:
> > Note that the cross install script bombs out on a redhat 6.0 box.
> >
> > It wants the start-stop-daemon installed.
>
> It's not cross-install that requires this. It is the dpkg binary which uses
> this to check for root.
>
> Providing a stub for it is completely sufficient, for example:
>
> ln -s /bin/false /usr/local/bin/start-stop-daemon.
>
> Also set your PATH to include /sbin and /usr/sbin.
>
> > I then went to sleep, so I'll be doing the native install tonight.
>
> Well, no RH'ish problems to expect there, I hope :)

	Under Hurd, the files ldconfig, and 2 other files(can't remember
the names, I was half asleep at that time) are required by dpkg only if
you are logged in as a user other than root; but not otherwise. I checked
this out under Debian, and this problem did not occur.(though I prefer to
use RedHat).

Thanks,
Ashutosh S. Rajekar
http://i.am/asr