Re: Hurd useful or not

On Sun, Sep 05, 1999 at 11:20:27PM +0200, Juli-Manel Merino Vidal wrote:
> I want to ask is someone is using The Hurd for something useful. Examples?

That's a tough question. Indeed, I was talking to Alan Cox about the
current usefulness of the Hurd.

Because there are still some bugs, I would not recommend it as a stable or
secure production system (heavily loaded webserver, news feed, whatever).
Also, the performance is not tuned a lot yet.

But you can definitely do development work, read your mail, edit texts or
whatever. As more and more applications get compiled, the usefulness in the
desktop area will increase of course.

What do you want to do with it?

`Rhubarb is no Egyptian god.' Debian http://www.debian.org  Check Key server
Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de                        PGP Key ID 36E7CD09