Re: HURD not unmounting disks cleanly (not the old problem)

On Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 09:58:18AM +0200, Pontus Lidman wrote:
> HURD doesn't seem to unmount my disks cleanly when I reboot using the
> "reboot" command. I saw this covered in a previous message on this list to
> which Marcus replied that the newer versions of the Debian packages will
> indeed unmount disks cleanly unless sysvinit is installed.

I don't remember saying something like this, but I may have thought so for a
while.

Fact is that nobody knows under which circumstances disks are not unmounted
cleanly. I *know* that when you fsck under linux, you get a clean disk at
next reboot, and if you don't screw up, it stays clean. But when you fsck
under Hurd during boot time, it does not end up clean. I am not sure what
happens if you e2fsck under Hurd manually (forcing).

> So I've made sure that sysvinit is NOT installed and I'm using the hurd
> .deb version 19990725. I still have the problem.

Not installing sysvinit is not a good idea either, because daemons are not
started properly.