"New" Installation Method of the Hurd, please tes, develop and comment

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 23, 1999 at 06:37:10PM +0000, Nuno Emanuel F. Carvalho wrote:
> > The stuff you need to play with it fits in 100 MB, but you need more for a
> > "full" installation (wow :). "full" means what we have, not what we will
> > have when we are ready (when we are ready, you will need 2 GB for a full
> > installation, but that's far away...)
>
> Well, 1GB it's enough ... for now :)

Absolutely. that's also the current upper limit for GNU Mach to grok
partitions.

> > But I don't recommend vm ware for two reasons: It is very slow, and it's
> > non-free.
>
>   Slow, I can take it. non-free ... maybe someday it change. ;)

I doubt that this would be soon. VM Ware is a big succes for the company,
and they would be stupid to free it as they can make a lot of money out of
this innovation. That's okay, it's their code. For us, we should focus on
Free Software, right?

Instead struggeling with VM Ware, it would be nice if someone could
investigate if the booting-the-hurd-from-a-diskimage-inside-any-ext2fs does
work, as it was implemented by Roland some time back. This would have two
advantages:

* No repartitioning is required.
* We could ship a compressed disk image that is completely preconfiure. No
need to do any configuration with native-install or whatsoever.