Re: Tale of woes: hard copy

On Tue, 22 Jun 1999, Roland McGrath wrote:

> > %%% Can't open server boot script /dev/hd1s1/boot/servers.boot: 2502
> > %%% Server boot script ? [/dev/hd1s1/boot/servers.boot]
> > /dev/hd2s1/boot/servers.boot
> > %%% hd24: bad access: block = 28, count = 2
> > %%% end_request: I/O error, dev 16:04, sector 28
> > %%% (serverboot): Running without any paging
> > %%% Hurd server bootstrap: ext2fs.static[hd2s1] exec init proc auth
> > %%% Single-user environment: /hurd/init: /dev/console: No such file or
> > directory
> > %%% /hurd/init: Using temporary console /tmp/console
> > %%% /hurd/init: Cannot execute /bin/sh: No such file of directory
> > %%% init: rebooting Mach (flags 0) ...
> [...]
> > Main question: Does any immortal have any clue to what is happening ?
>
> Who wants to live forever?
>
> I believe the message about "hd24: bad access" is a known problem that
> perhaps has been fixed in current gnumach; it has been discussed here,
> check the mailing list archives.  But anyway, I think it's harmless, just a
> spurious message.

	I have tried the gnumach 1.1.92-4 package, the message keeps
fluctuating between "hd02: ..." and "hd24: ...". Read on ...

> The fact that you got past the "Hurd server bootstrap" line suggests that
> the disk and filesystem are working OK.  init, proc, and auth are loaded
> using the Hurd filesystem in the normal way, so seeing those start up
> generally indicates that the disk and the filesystem are working.
>
> The stuff about the console is normal to see when /dev/console is not set
> up, which is normal when you haven't run native-install yet.
>
> The "Cannot execute" error indicates either that /bin/sh is missing, or
> that the dynamic linker (/lib/ld.so.1 or /lib/ld.so) is missing.

	/bin/sh exists and is a link to /bin/bash, and the dynamic linker
also exists.

> I'm not sure that this is your problem, but is there a reason you specified
> the wrong disk in the kernel command line?
> Have you tried it with "root=hd2s1"?  (The "/dev/" is optional.)

	If I specify the root=hd2s1 option, the error messages remains the
same, only the error message "Can't open server boot script
/dev/hd1s1/boot/servers.boot: 2502 Server boot script ?" doesn't get
displayed.