Re: after getting started...

>     - how do I install more .deb files after I already have
>       a working hurd system?  (Where do I get them?  A: same
>       site that has the files .deb's needed to get started)
>       Is this just simple dpkg usage at this point?  If so,
>       a pointer to good dpkg documentation, and possibly an
>       example cmd line would be useful.

Yup, same as for debian/linux, whatever docs you can find for that.
I use dselect, which is a front-end to dpkg.

>     - how do I upgrade various pieces, most importantly, how
>       do I try out a new kernel or set of servers after someone
>       announces that they have been updated?  (Is this a single
>       dpkg command?  or do I simply replace pieces like /boot/gnumach
>       and various servers?)

Use dpkg (or dselect) to update to new .deb's.

>     - where do I get sources?  (I found a reference to a CVS
>       repository at :pserver:anoncvs@anoncvs.gnu.org/gd/gnu/anoncvsroot,
>       I got 'hurd' sources here.  Is this the canonical source?)

Yup.  Well, it's a read-only mirror of the canonical repository, updated
once a day.  Same for gnumach and mig.

>     - what packages do I need to rebuild the system.  What sources
>       do I need to retrieve?  (hurd? gnumach? glibc? ...)

If you want to rebuild from scratch, you need the usual tools plus mig.
Build glibc, then gnumach, then hurd.