Re: Why writing files eats up memory: Part II: The Solution

On Sat, Jun 19, 1999 at 07:21:52PM -0400, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> I can implement numbers 1.1, 1.4, and 2 right away.  What I would like
> is concrete advice, backed up by reasoning, for how to set or adjust
> these paging parameters.  The existing ones are specified at the front
> of mach/vm/vm_pageout.c.

Thomas, it seems that part of the problem is that it's easy to set these
parameters and ignore - Is it efficient to calculate them per machine at
loadtime?  Say, make it a function of CPU speed and total RAM.  One of the
frequent emails that I see on help-hurd is the cry of "It won't run on my
386 with 4 MB RAM" - Obviously other things are involved in making that
happen, but it would be nice if we could produce a paging formula that
accomidated different machines (IA32, non-IA32, fast, slow, etc...).

Tks,
Jeff Bailey

--
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian
because I hate plants.