Re: Suggestion: 'porting issues' web page

On Sat, Jun 05, 1999 at 02:00:06AM +0200, Marcus Brinkmann was heard to say:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 1999 at 08:18:14PM -0400, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> >   Hello all,
> >
> >   It occurs to me that it might be useful to compile a list of known
> > incompatabilities and issues between Linux and the Hurd (or I suppose
> > more accurately since some of these are C library or tool issues,
> > Debian GNU/Linux and Debian GNU/Hurd).
>
> I started such a thing for the Debian GNU/Hurd porting pages, but ithey are
> not up yet. I will collect them from this list as time allows.

  Ok, cool!

> > libc doesn't have FILE->_IO_read_ptr but that FILE->__bufp-FILE->__buffer
> > can be used instead, or the libtool madness (although this will evidently
> > be fixed soon)..
>
> The fromer yes, the latter no, because it is just a bug.

  I was thinking about this...even though it is just a bug it still affects
portability and may still have to be worked around even after an update comes
out (?) since libtool ships itself with many source packages.  Maybe there
should be a section labeled 'temporary kludges'? :-)  [ obviously you can
just re-run libtoolize and make a .diff.gz file with the new libtool included,
but perhaps that should be mentioned ]

> > I suppose /proc would be a suspect for portability headaches,
> > etc. Would there be interest in such a list, or are the common problems (eg
> > libtool) more properly reported as bugs against the packages causing them?
>
> Bugs should be reported as bugs. Differences in designs would be useful to
> document. I still don't have CVS write access to the Dbeian web pages, as
> James Tracey is currently not around. please hold your breath and start
> collecting those items already :)
>
> Marcus

  Next time I stumble across an issue I'll make a note.. :-)

  Daniel

--
The New Testament offers the basis for modern computer coding theory,
in the form of an affirmation of the binary number system.

        But let your communication be Yea, yea; nay, nay:
        for whatsoever is more than these cometh of evil.
                -- Matthew 5:37